Monday, October 3, 2011

DIY Burp Towel Tutorial


So with our new Granddaughter due to be arriving any day...I decided that instead of my daughter purchasing a TON of adorable Recieving Blankets and using those as Burp Towels...that there HAD to be a better way. I think we found it!

Heres what you'll need:
Some Fat Quarters or other fabric of your choice in approx 10x17
Some Flour Sack Dish Towels (found ours at Wal Mart in the kitchen section)
Thread
Rotary cutter or scissors
Ruler
Iron
Sewing machine

Step 1  After pre-washing and drying your material and your flour sack cloths go ahead and iron them if need be. You will also notice that the flour sack cloths become more dense and compacted after the washing. Cut down your sizes of material to the size mentioned or to a size you prefer. There are really no wrong or right sizes here...it's more of a personal thing!


Step 2  Pin the right facing side of your material to your flour sack cloth. Sew around the edges at about the typical width...I always use the edge of the presser foot as my guide! But that's just me!! Sew all the way around LEAVING an opening of approx 2 1/2" ( this is for step 3)

Step 3  Time to clip the corners at a diagonal so that when we turn the towel right side out we can get a nice sharp point in our corners. Then Turn the towel right side out as shown in the photo with the Pink Monkey Material



Step 4  Press your Burp Towel with your iron and when you get to the spot we left open for turning just tuck those edges in to match the rest of the towel and press that spot really well too.

Step 5  Sew around the edge around the towel. This makes the towel have a really cute finished appearance and will hold the two pieces of material together a bit stronger.

There you have it!!! WASN'T THAT EASY??? These turn out sooo cute and would make TERRIFIC Baby shower gifts!!!! Stack a few of these and tie a cute ribbon around them for gifting!!!

OPTIONAL....you could do some additional stitching all around the towel to give it a "quilted" appearance. I did do this on a few of them and our Daughter Kaylen loved the look!!! Just don't sew any buttons or anything like that on these. A hard button is probably the last thing we want on our little ones face while we are cuddling up and trying to burp them!

I would LOVE to see what your Burp Towels look like!
Have fun...and remember...make some memories with YOUR family TODAY...we only get this oppurtunity today...this moment...this second. We don't get a second chance to get this moment in time back!!!!

2 comments:

BeLove said...

great idea! would be perfect if i were a little more savy with my sewing machine....i'm pretty sure the thing hates me! lol

Brittney from BeLove Creations
http://www.etsy.com/people/BeLoveCreations10

The DIY Family said...

Awwww What kind of sewing machine do you have??? I had one that all it was WAS TROUBLE!!! I later found out the timing was off...then I had another one that I was using the metal bobbins...and I was supposed to use plastic...of all things! LOL
If I can help ya in any way let me know!!!